kermes scale #544548 - Ask Extension

kermes scale #544548

Asked February 21, 2019, 11:03 AM EST

Do I need to treat my red oak for kermis scale annually.  The oak was treated last year once with a spray and again with injections into the trunk.  Do I need to repeat this treatment this year?  If I do it this year is it something I will have to do every year?

Greg

Arapahoe County Colorado

Hello!

You likely don't need to treat the red oak for kermes scale every year. However, continue to monitor the tree for new damage or new kermes scale. Evidence can include: twig dieback, twig discoloration and oozing form the tree. Squirrels and yellow jackets also feed on mature female scales so look for this activity in late June/early July. If you notice evidence of the scale over the summer, you can still treat the tree in the fall after the eggs hatch. An arborist can apply an oil to kill the crawling stage of the scale in Sept. or Oct. More info here: http://planttalk.colostate.edu/topics/insects-diseases/1400-11-kermes-scale-oak-trees/
Lisa Mason Replied February 21, 2019, 1:30 PM EST