Rice hulls in container nursery #487248 - Ask Extension

Rice hulls in container nursery #487248

How can you keep birds( sparrows) from knocking all the hulls out of the pots in the nursery.

Crawford County Ohio

I can only guess that you would need to screen the tops of the pots much like you screen blueberries so the birds don't get to all the fruits. I am also guessing that you are using the rice hills as a top dressing on the pots. I cannot figure why the birds would do this and it is not addressed in the information on the internet  from the suppliers or other users. You might contact other nursery owners to see how they have addressed the problem if they have experienced it.  You might also contact your local Extension Agent to see if he/she has any suggestions.

Patricia Smeby_MGV Replied October 01, 2018, 10:35 AM EDT

Thanks Lots of area to cover and always pulling plants. Will check with Willoway sometime

The Question Asker Replied October 09, 2018, 5:33 PM EDT
You may want to call your local Extension office and speak with Jason Hartschuh.
He may have other recommendations.

The phone number for your Extension office is: 419-562-8731
Jason's email address is:  hartschuh.11@osu.edu

Best regards,

Denise J.

Denise Johnson - MGV Replied October 10, 2018, 9:13 AM EDT
For a nursery there are a few other options for bird control. Probably the most effect methods in your situation is going to be Sonic noise makers they can be a challenge with sparrows though because they become used to sounds easily. For Sparrows there are also poison options you may want to look into along with some repel-ants. One other option used for bird controls in lasers but those work best with Geese. 

Please email me at hartschuh.11@osu.edu with more questions

Thank you 
Jason Hartschuh Replied October 11, 2018, 10:25 AM EDT