What is the term used to ... #478360 - Ask Extension

What is the term used to ... #478360

What is the term used to describe baby trees growing in a circle around the mother tree? I once read that this symbolized something special to Native Americans, but I can find no reference to this online.

Sandusky County Ohio

Questions to this web site generally are about plant disease, insects or plant identification so your question is a pleasant diversion. Unfortunately I do not have an instant answer.  I lived for many years in Ashtabula County and that was the home for the Lenape Indian tribe. They have a web site so I sent your question to them. If I get an answer, I will relay it to you. You might try the Native American Indian Council of Central Ohio web site for an answer. Good luck.

Patricia Smeby_MGV Replied August 16, 2018, 9:45 AM EDT

Sorry this took so long but Dan Hanson sent me this information: He asked an Iroquois (Seneca) elder and was told that this tree arrangement was referred to as a medicine wheel or arbor and was used in meetings and ceremonies. It was considered sacred space where only truth was expected.

Patricia Smeby_MGV Replied August 07, 2019, 5:13 PM EDT