What kind of bug is it? #462410 - Ask Extension

What kind of bug is it? #462410

Hi there, could you please tell me what kind of bug is this? I found it on the countertop in our kitchen. I found 2 already on the same spot. I have a dead citrus plant on the counter and some water dripping from the ceiling. Its not a lot. Below it and beside the plant, I put a towel on the counter and it dries up pretty quick. This is the 1st time ive seen this bug and it looks like a tick. I am not an expert but I googled how ticks look like. It looks almost similar to what I found. Please let me know as soon as possible since I am panicking right now. Ive heard stories about ticks and it sounds pretty scary.

Ramsey County Outside United States

Thank you for your question,

Please don't worry about this bug being a tick. It is NOT. It may be the immature stage of a roach. This means that the bugs need to be killed as soon as you see them because they may contaminate your food with bacteria.

Information on ticks can be found below:

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/index.html

I hope this helps,

Jaime Pinero Replied June 15, 2018, 9:12 AM EDT