Dogs and sweet potato vine #460913 - Ask Extension

Knowledgebase

Dogs and sweet potato vine #460913

Asked June 09, 2018, 10:12 AM EDT

Is Sweet Potato vine (non-flowering, no seeds) toxic to dogs? The internet is all over the place on this topic with 1/2 saying yes and 1/2 saying no. I have a new inquisitive puppy

Jefferson County Colorado

Expert Response

Sweet potato vines (either purple or lime green) are potentially toxic depending on how much of the plant is eaten. Diarrhea is the most commonly reported problem.

There are many different species of sweet potato and all belong to the morning glory family (Ipomoea species). The toxicity of the different species varies. The seeds are the most toxic if chewed and swallowed. The seeds contain hallucinogenic compounds such as LSD, and therefore can cause a variety of neurologic signs.

To be safe do not let your dog eat the leaves of the sweet potato vine!
Anthony Knight Replied June 11, 2018, 5:30 PM EDT

Loading ...