I am looking for ways to ... #437264 - Ask Extension

I am looking for ways to ... #437264

I am looking for ways to keep a bat colony from returning to my 200 year old barn. Th structure would be very difficult to bat proof so I am hoping there is a way to simply make it less attractive to the bats. (Fan, lighting, ......) any advice would be much appreciated!

Geauga County Ohio

If you can change the roost conditions enough, the bats will leave. That's not to say they will leave the barn as they could move to another location that has suitable conditions, so you may have to "chase" them around a bit before they abandon the site for a better one.

The simplest way to do this is to use a high powered fan capable of moving air into the areas they prefer to roost. I recommend trying an air mover from a home improvement store as they have a shaped exhaust cone that allows more precise direction of the air over a large barn fan. Do this for several days while the bats are first returning to the barn for best results and don't forget to keep an eye out not just for new roost locations in the barn this year, but from now on.
Eric Arnold Replied January 02, 2018, 10:31 AM EST