Purchased Pachysandra and the weather got cold. Can i plant it now? #433118 - Ask Extension

Purchased Pachysandra and the weather got cold. Can i plant it now? #433118

i just bought a flat of pachysandra and was planning on planting it, but it suddenly got very cold. However, next week we will be back to upper 60 degrees. Is it safe to plant, we are going into winter and the temperatures fluctuate a lot.? If I can't plant it can i keep it in my screened in porch or in the house until spring ? .

New Castle County Federated States of Micronesia

Thank you for your question about planting your pachysandra.  I'm not sure what you mean by "very cold," because you're listed as being in USDA zone 11b, which would mean average historical winter low temperatures of 45 to 50 degrees F.  This source indicates that pachysandra are able to sustain temperatures to zone 5 (which can go down to -10 F, so your plants should have no problems in your climate.  And, you can plant most perennials so long as the soil is in the 50 degrees F area, and your soil must be at least that.  So, plant away!  Hope this is helpful.  Good luck!
Kristena LaMar Replied October 30, 2017, 12:08 PM EDT