half life of juglone actively remaining in soil once a mature black walnut tree is harvested #425278 - Ask Extension

half life of juglone actively remaining in soil once a mature black walnut tree is harvested #425278

I have a small Christmas tree hobby farm and am severely affected by the presence of now mature black walnut trees some of which I wish to turn into furniture. How long will it take for juglone to effectively disappear from the soil and allow for planting of spruce seedlings?

Arapahoe County Outside United States

Thank you for your question about juglone toxicity.  This Extension article indicates that "In the soil, breakdown may take up to two months after the living walnut tree has been removed."  The article also has a list of plants that are susceptible to it, as well as plants which are tolerant.  I hope this is helpful.  Good  luck!
Kristena LaMar Replied September 05, 2017, 2:59 PM EDT