crimson pygmy barberry (berberis) and ticks #409998 - Ask Extension

crimson pygmy barberry (berberis) and ticks #409998

I have been reading about the relationship between japanese barberry and ticks (not to mention that evidently the barberry are invasive?). I have several Crimson Pygmy Barberry in a flower bed. Do you recommend that I dig them up and dispose of them?

Howard County Maryland

If you are willing and able, yes, the world (Maryland that is,)would be a better place without this plant. It is found growing in places it doesn't belong and is definitely invasive.
You can dig them up, or just cut the trunk and paint the cut surface with an herbicide containing the active ingredient glyphosate. (Round Up and other brands). Glyphosate can also be carefully be applied to the foliage.