Please help. An invasive... #408714 - Ask Extension

Please help. An invasive... #408714

Please help. An invasive plant is taking over our backyard. What seemed like an interesting ground cover when we bought this property 10 years ago has turned out to be a challenge to manage. I have not trimmed it or weed whacked it, since that may aggravate the growth. I note that it is slowly taking over my shade garden as well as the plants we have around a koi pond. A response at your earliest is appreciated. I will also attempt to reach you by phone. I have also sent the same query to the Master Gardener. Thanks. I hope to hear back from you soon.

Delaware County Ohio

Hi. That is a type of bamboo. I’m not sure of the exact species offhand, but it is clearly a “running” bamboo. Such bamboos are notoriously difficult to control because they spread by strong, pointed, underground stems known as rhizomes. Your best strategy is to remove it by digging it out. This will be difficult work, but it is effective. If need be, you can use a non-selective herbicide such as glyphosate, but that can be problematic if it is mixed in with other plants you want to preserve. Clemson U. has a good page on controlling bamboo here. The University of California also has a good page here that includes additional links. If you do use an herbicide, be sure to read the instructions and follow label directions.

Darin Croft - MGV Replied June 21, 2017, 1:56 PM EDT