Pumkin Disease and Pest Control #406480 - Ask Extension

Pumkin Disease and Pest Control #406480

My father annually plants a small plot (~1/2 acre) of pumpkins. He generally follows good practices regarding plant spacing and weed control (cultivating before the plants run and pulling large weeds by hand after) and usually rotates the ground planted every year. However, he was unable to rotate this year and is therefore concerned about increased disease and pest problems with his plants. He asked me to do some research on a preventative spraying regimen, but I have not been able to find much on-line, particularly for this region. Can you help us?

Hennepin County Minnesota

The following bulletin seems to have been designed specifically to answer your question.
https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/bp/bp-17/bp-17.pdf

Because it is so comprehensive, the bulletin includes information about diseases that are unlikely to affect your father's plot. Based on past experience at the site, you may be able to identify which ones to expect.  For example, powdery mildew damages many curcubit crops in Minnesota so it's important to watch for it and be prepared to apply controls at first evidence of it.  If powdery mildew has been present in the recent past, preventive control (before evidence of it) is warranted.   

Bob Bystrom Replied June 13, 2017, 11:51 AM EDT