Tick Risk #404858 - Ask Extension

Tick Risk #404858

Are ticks a concern in the wooded section of the UK Arboretum? I walk there with my dog several times a week and wear athletic wear. Should I be taking more precautions for myself and my dog?

Fayette County Kentucky

Ticks can be a concern anywhere. Anytime we spend time in any outdoor environment that is not on pavement, we should check ourselves for ticks afterward. It's just better to be 'safe than sorry'.   UK Extension Entomologist Dr. Lee Townsend has written some great articles with some great information on ticks, how they attack, and how to protect ourselves.
  In his article Be Ready for Ticks he has some great pointers on how to avoid tick bites:
  • Avoid walking through uncut fields, brush, and other areas likely to harbor ticks. Walk in the center of mowed trails to avoid brushing up against vegetation.
  • Use a repellent that contains 20% to 30% DEET on exposed skin. Always follow product instructions.
  • Use products that contain permethrin to treat clothing and gear, such as boots, pants (especially the cuffs), socks, and tents.
  • Tuck long pants into your socks and boots. Wearing light-colored pants makes ticks easier to see.
  • In areas where there are ticks, check yourself, children, and other family members for ticks every 2 to 3 hours, as well as upon returning home from hikes and outdoor activities. Examine behind ears, hair, neck, legs, and around the waist.
  • If you let pets outdoors, check them often for ticks. Ticks can “hitch a ride” on pets, but fall off in your home before they feed. Tick collars, sprays, shampoos, or monthly “top spot” medications help protect against ticks.
Here is a link to that article: https://kentuckypestnews.wordpress.com/2017/03/28/be-ready-for-ticks/

Here is a link to another great article of his as well:  
 https://kentuckypestnews.wordpress.com/2017/05/23/protect-yourself-from-ticks/

I hope this information helps but if you have any more questions or concerns, you can contact me at the Fayette Extension Office at (859) 257-5582. Thanks!
Carrie Spry Replied June 07, 2017, 9:16 AM EDT