Serviceberry Autumn Brilliance Tree #393279 - Ask Extension

Serviceberry Autumn Brilliance Tree #393279

Hello! I bought and planted the above from Springhouse Gardens Nursery in Fall 2015. It has four trunks. Last August 2016, it branched out from the original branches probably double in size. Now, it has flowered on the original branches, and has buds on the "new" branches. Should I prune the new branches off or leave them? Thanks very much. (Pictures added.)

Franklin County Kentucky

That depends.  Serviceberry can take the form of either a large shrub or small tree depending on how it is pruned.  If you want to maintain it as a tree, you will need to prune the new branches as soon as it is done flowering.  It is common that new shoots will sucker from the roots.  I would suggest that these be pruned to keep it from appearing "unkempt" and provide proper air flow and sun light to the entire shrub/tree.  
Adam Leonberger Replied April 17, 2017, 3:04 PM EDT