white fly infestation #388362 - Ask Extension

white fly infestation #388362

Asked March 11, 2017, 11:47 AM EST

Last year mid-summer I notice these very tiny white insects in my vegetable garden. they increased over the summer and by fall covered most of that bed which contained cukes, squash, eggplant, broccoli, & peppers. There was also a heavy odor of mildew from the bed by the end of summer. Now the soil is dusty, sand like in texture and coats everything it comes into contact with a powdery black. My questions is: Should I remove & replace all the soil in this raised bed before I plant this spring? I researched "white fly" and it is apparently very hard to get rid of. I do not use pesticides in my garden. thank you for any suggestions you can provide

Howard County Maryland

The smell of mildew and the texture of your soil is not related to whiteflies. We cannot comment on the soil.  Here is information on whiteflies and prevention/control
http://extension.umd.edu/growit/insects/whiteflies