Hi On the web many sites... #373874 - Ask Extension

Hi On the web many sites... #373874

Hi On the web many sites say to soak grains to deactivate physical acid so as to improve nutrient absorption. Some then suggest to drain and rinse before cooking and others say to use he soak water with its leached vitamins for soups, etc, inquiry case why not just cook the grains in the soak water? My question is does the soak water contain nutrients or should it be drained off? Lou

Cuyahoga County Ohio

Thank you for your question.  I am assuming you are referring to phytic acid.

It is correct that soaking your grains will reduce the level of phytic acid.  Phytic acid is known to inhibit absorption of certain minerals. 

Yes, the soaking water may contain some additional nutrients leached from the grains during soaking.  You could discard this liquid (along with the phytic acid and possible nutrients) or use it for something else to retain those nutrients and the phytic acid. 

You will need to decide whether to consume this soaking liquid or not.

Kate Shumaker Replied October 31, 2016, 11:44 AM EDT