Chiggers in coastal bermuda hay #369163 - Ask Extension

Chiggers in coastal bermuda hay #369163

My last purchase of coastal for my horses is loaded with chiggers.  I live in far West Texas and we don't experience the little buggers unless it's hay from East Texas.  I have been battling getting bitten for three weeks now and recently heard about a product called Essentria IC3, a plant based insecticide.  I have been told that I can spray the hay with this without any toxic effects to my horses.  What do you say? Your comments are most welcome....soon, I'm really itching!  :-)

Brewster County Texas

I think that would be a safe alternative. Another option would be to cover the hay with plastic or tarps and use the foggers for use in houses (4gone is one brand name) Set them off under the tarps and wait over 4 hours before you feed the hay. It should dissipate and cause no troubles.
Logan Boswell Replied October 11, 2016, 12:04 PM EDT
Thank you very much - that seems like the best idea I've heard so far!  I was not able to find the brand "4gone" is that the whole name?  Is it pyrethrin-based?

Nancy
The Question Asker Replied October 11, 2016, 1:00 PM EDT
Yes I think so. But any of the generic insect bombs that you would set and stay out of the house for 4 hours should work.
Logan Boswell Replied October 17, 2016, 4:58 PM EDT