Green pumpkins #355726 - Ask Extension

Green pumpkins #355726

Last year my daughter got an orange pumpkin from Severs Corn maze in Shakopee. She decided to let it rot in the garden to see if it regrew this year. It did. I have vines going everywhere. I also have three growing. But the biggest one just a tad smaller than a soccer ball is dark green and light green. Shape is good. It's August 22. When dors it turn orange? Will it?

Sibley County Minnesota

What a fun thing to do! I've included a link to the Extension information on growing pumpkins which should be helpful. Since you didn't purchase your seeds, you have no info on how long this type of pumpkin takes to mature. This can be 95-110 days. Note that you don't want to harvest until just before the first hard frost. Hopefully that will not be for a while.

You can never tell what you are going to get when planting seeds from your Halloween pumpkin.  However, my suggestion is to give it more time.

[The following small note is not based on University scientific information. It's from me. My pumpkins look just like that right now.  I would bet on it eventually turning orange.]

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/vegetables/growing-pumpkins-and-winter-squash/

Enjoy!
Karen Sutherland Replied August 23, 2016, 5:41 PM EDT