Best way to control striped cucumber beetles? #355543 - Ask Extension

Best way to control striped cucumber beetles? #355543

Dear Sir/Madam,
After losing all of my cucumber and squash plants to bacterial wilt (transmitted by striped cucumber bettles) this year, I would like to know: What is the best way to control striped cucumber beetles? Whereas I would prefer not to use noxious pesticides, I am currently open to hearing all control strategies and then making an informed decision. For example, can a pesticide be applied at a time when the plant is not fruiting, to decrease the exposure of pesticide in the cucumber and squash fruit? Do natural soap-based pest deterrents work on these beetles? If so, what is the recipe for a soap-based pest deterrent that you would recommend?  Thank you in advance.

Howard County Maryland

Please see our pest profile on the cucumber beetle for monitoring, prevention and control options. http://extension.umd.edu/growit/insects/cucumber-beetles-spotted-or-striped
You may be able to correct or prevent problems with simple techniques as mentioned above like lightly tilling soil in the fall, planting late, planting County Fair , a cultivar that has resistance to bacterial wilt, etc.
If needed, A pesticide can be applied when the plant is not fruiting and can be applied once you notice signs and symptoms. Soap products are not effective.