ridding stickers in lawn #354265 - Ask Extension

ridding stickers in lawn #354265

My lawn has developed masses of stickers this year..I've not had them before... They are very thick where water has run off the roof, places where water stands also have a shallow root system.. How do I get rid of them?...I have pulled many out by the root but there are just too many for such an undertaking..

Crittenden County Kentucky

This looks to be in the sedge family either green or false green Kyllinga. Look to see if the stem is triangular in shape, that is a characteristic of sedges. Sedges and Kyllinga tend to grow in wet soil; Kyllinga can grow under regular mowing. Hand weeding will work but you must remove all underground tubers and rhizomes. Chemical control can include chemicals with active ingredients of Imazaquin, Flazasulfuron, or Trifloxysulfuron. If you have any further questions you can contact your local Cooperative Extension Service.

Dee Brasher Heimgartner Replied August 19, 2016, 12:06 PM EDT