Squash Variety's #353829 - Ask Extension

Squash Variety's #353829

I have saved seeds from buttercup squash the last few years. I generally plant the seeds the following year and typically have good results. Last year, some of the squash had stripes on them....but this year, takes the cake. Some of the squash looks like normal, some are striped, some are huge, some look like pumpkins. Geez, I just wanted great buttercup. But now I don't know what I have...Several look like Hubbard's, but huge and green. We have three (maybe four) that already have hit about 50 pounds. (and look like pumpkins, those raised to get huge) Any thoughts? Edible?

Todd County Minnesota

If the squash are pumpkins and other squash they are edible. If the oddly shaped and colors are gourdes they may not be edible. I don't have any history on your plot or the varieties you grow so I can only speculate with little information.  Are you using seeds collected from several years? that might explain so many kinds. Cross pollination is possibly the cause.  Several batches of seed also affected by cross pollination might be a cause. If the parents were hybrids they will not bred true. The phenotypes (how they look) of the parents will be expressed in the offspring. 
Claire Kari Replied August 16, 2016, 10:39 PM EDT
Evelyn,
           yes, I did  use seeds from two years past. Never had this result... they look like squash for the most part, but.... not sure how we would get pumpkins from squash seeds, but appears we did. I do understand they are from the same family, but....and then the striped ones, look like delicata style, but...I guess I will harvest the ones that look like true buttercups and display the rest for the fall...thanks..
Dan Drilling
Ps, the rest of our garden is amazing this year..we use leaf and grass (rotten) from each year and with out clay soil, it really grows well..!!
The Question Asker Replied August 17, 2016, 9:57 PM EDT
Your garden is beautiful and the squash in picture is already very big. Congratulations!
Claire Kari Replied August 17, 2016, 10:02 PM EDT