Uncertain source of dropping #317858 - Ask Extension

Uncertain source of dropping #317858

At the coast we have mice inside our house -- aside from their mice droppings we are seeing a larger dropping approx 1 inch by 3/4 inch by 3/8th inch which is brown and has a hollow center --- our exterminator can't identify it. We have seen several dozen of these droppings in multiple locations throughout the house. I have samples of them if that would be helpful and can get them to whomever.

Multnomah County Oregon

It would help to have some photos of the droppings, ideally with either coins or along a rule to help with understanding the scale and pattern. You can upload those through this Ask an Expert conversation.
Thank you,
Dana

Dana Sanchez Replied May 06, 2016, 4:54 PM EDT
Hope this helps --- these dropping are hollow on the inside
The Question Asker Replied May 06, 2016, 5:43 PM EDT
Thank you for the photos. I don't think those are feces. I think they're seeds of some sort, likely being stored or cached by the animals using the space. The one that's broken open in the foreground looks like it has remains of either the seed meat or maybe a caterpillar/worm that's eaten out the seed meat. Do you have Master Gardeners at your local Extension office? If so, I think they'd be your best bet for ID'g the type of seed. It's likely something growing nearby. Has your exterminator determined from the other sign what species is getting into the house? I'm wondering whether rats are involved, due to the size of these objects.

Dana Sanchez Replied May 10, 2016, 2:31 PM EDT