Very short half life herbicide for controlling Russian thistle (Salsola tragus L.) #297762 - Ask Extension

Very short half life herbicide for controlling Russian thistle (Salsola tragus L.) #297762

I want to restore land infested with Russian thistle (Salsola tragus L., Synonyms Salsola iberica Sennen & Pau or  Salsola kali L.).  The land is located in southern Utah about 5 miles north of Arizona (Kanab, Utah).  I am going to drill in a mix of grass seed and forb seed obtained from Granite Seed Company.  The soil is a red, heavy silt (probably contains a fair amount of clay) that is derived from Moenkopi mudstone.  Before reseeding I plan to mow the Russian thistle and collect the clippings plus seed and destroy them. 

The question that I want answered is: Is there a very short half life herbicide that can be used to eradicate emerging Russian thistle seedlings before I drill in the seed mix that will be used for  re-vegetation that will not kill the seedlings of re-vegetation mix. 

Kane County Utah

That is a great question.  May I suggest you contact Dr. Ralph Whitesides, USU Extension Weed Specialist, directly?  He can be reached at Ralph.Whitesides@usu.edu.

Thanks,
Larry Rupp
Larry Rupp Replied January 28, 2016, 11:25 AM EST