Old containers of herbicide, etc. #297753 - Ask Extension


Old containers of herbicide, etc. #297753

Asked January 22, 2016, 12:03 PM EST

We recently cleaned out an old shed that contained 2-3 year old containers of: weed killer 2-4-D 1 gal; Spectracide Weedstop for lawns 2-4-D 1.5 gal; Moss Out Ferric Sulfate 1;5 gal; Moss and algae surface cleaner 32 oz;  KleenUp (glyphosate) 1 gal; Miracle Grow Bloombooster 5 packets; Rose Rx 3-in-1  3 Quarts; Rose Pharm Fungus Pharm 35 oz;  Mum Booster 1 lb;  Moss Out part of a 5 lb shaker bag;  Moss and Algae Control 1 Quart;  Shultz 10-60-10 Bloom/Plus 1lb; Insecticides cygon 1 pt, 8 oz lb; several containers Sevin 8 ounces; Organic fertilizer 6-2-0 15 lb bag; Scott's turf builder 15 lb;  Holly food 16-4-8 20 lbs; Scott's turfbuilder 30-3-4 15 lbs.

Montgomery County Maryland

Expert Response

The fertilizers do not become outdated. Neither should the cleaners. Insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides of 2-3 years should be fine.  If you suspect that products were allowed to freeze, that could affect potency, but we cannot say exactly how or how much.  You can always test the effectiveness of the herbicide in an area before using it as usual.  . 

Cygon is for commercial applicators only.  It is illegal for a homeowner to apply this himself. Sevin and Cygon are highly toxic pesticides to bees, wildlife and aquatic life.  There are much better and safer products on the market that work for home landscapes.  Let us know when you have a problem, and we will be glad to help you address the problem, including what product works best

In my previous question I neglected to ask how to get rid of these items. Can we donate them? Are any of them hazardous and need special handling. Should we put them in the trash. We've tried giving them away to neighbors but haven't had any success. Thank you...
The Question Asker Replied February 28, 2016, 2:33 PM EST
If you are not able to use any of the products, then you will have to take to the Hazardous Waste/Recycling in your County.  See the attached link in your County http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/sws/hw/
You may also find more information on the back of the labels for disposal. 

Loading ...