Acting the same way as my mother did #294191 - Ask Extension

Acting the same way as my mother did #294191

What can I do to stop acting on the same negative ways that my mother did?

Pasco County Outside United States

This can be hard to do, but recognizing that you want to do things differently is an important first step.  There are three things you can do:

1. Learn as much as you can about the positive ways that you can parent. Seek out information from unbiased, trusted sources. 

2, Try to find positive role models or peers who can give you support and encouragement. This could be people in your community, or people in online communities that share your perspective.

3. Sometimes talking to a professional counselor can be very helpful in working through issues with your parent that might hamper your attempts to be a positive parent.

I wish you well. It can be a difficult road, but don't be discouraged - you are on the best path for your children!
Aaron Ebata Replied December 28, 2015, 9:39 AM EST