Planting some NW natives #288427 - Ask Extension

Planting some NW natives #288427

I have ordered several types of NW natives to plant next weekend. I feel like i have searched endlessly to get a better idea of their growing patterns in the fall and winter. I am attempting to mix these plants with others, especially evergreen shrubs, and want to know what to expect they will look like in winter. Do they die back to the ground? Do they not? If so, do they lose some leaves? They are all perennials. What i would like is to mix in plants that die back close to evergreens so I don't have big dead looking spots in my yard. These are the plants in question: douglas aster, red columbine, large leaf lupine, blue eyed grass, few flowered shooting star. Thanks for your help?

Multnomah County Oregon

Most of the plants you have listed are deciduous perennials, meaning they will die back in winter and reappear in spring. In terms of sizes, you best bet is to contact the nursery you ordered them from to find out what their estimated size/spread will be. Remember. though, that the environment will be a determining factor in how well or poorly they perform (e.g. sun/shade/water competition).
I'm providing a link to a local nursery's list of natives, which you may find useful:
http://portlandnursery.com/plants/natives/

Hilary Hutler Replied November 05, 2015, 10:34 AM EST