"Ladybugs" and bees infestation on Mountain Ash #284062 - Ask Extension

"Ladybugs" and bees infestation on Mountain Ash #284062

I have a Mountain Ash tree, about 15 years old, and I just noticed this going on on the trunk. What should I do to remedy this? The leaves of the tree are curled, but not sure if that's normal in the Fall.

Hennepin County Minnesota

Thank you for the question.  It looks like the insects on
your tree are multicolored Asian lady beetles.  This beetle moved into Minnesota in the mid-90's from other areas and was originally introduced in California in the 60's to control pecan aphids.  They eat aphids and other soft bodied insects.  They do not infest wood.  The beetles shouldn't be of harm to your tree.  We can only guess that a type of woodpecker drilled the holes in your tree to get at sap or other insects like aphids and the beetle's were attracted to the spots.  Often, some drilling damage doesn't harm the tree but you will have to assess your tree's health by inspecting it closely and submitting another question if you have one.

Read these publications on Asian lady beetles and woodpecker damage on trees:

Thank you for contacting Extension.

Anita Hoaglund Replied October 14, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT