Came up over night. #281127 - Ask Extension

Knowledgebase

Came up over night. #281127

Asked September 28, 2015, 8:48 AM EDT

What is this, and is it poisonous?

Newport News County Virginia

Expert Response

This is a fungus.  What you're seeing is the "fruiting body", i.e. mushroom, part of a fungus that lives in the soil.  Fungi live on dead organic material.  There are probably some old dead roots in the soil that are decomposing.  One of the things that help decompose organic matter is fungi.  All normal and natural.  

It may reappear occasionally until the organic matter it is living on completely decomposes.  You can just ignore it or knock it over.  Nothing you can do about it and it is not harmful.

 ECN
Thank you. I was wondering if it was because my kids were touching it.
The Question Asker Replied October 12, 2015, 9:32 AM EDT

Loading ...