What trees should I plant for shade? #279065 - Ask Extension

What trees should I plant for shade? #279065

I am needing to plant a tree or trees for shade and to help the appearance of some property I just purchased. It's a home on an acre of land. It looks odd with no trees or plants. I am going to add in flowers and shrubs, but what kind of tree can I plant that's fast growing that will also work for shade? Also when is the best time to plant azaleas?

Gregg County Texas

Esther,
Fall is actually the best time of the year to plant any shrubs, trees can also be planted at this time of year, it gives the plant time to establish some roots before the heat of summer the next year. As far as fast growing trees, be careful! As a general rule of thumb, the fast the tree grows, the shorter lived it is.

You might try this interactive tree planting guide with the Texas Forest Service, this can be found at; http://texastreeplanting.tamu.edu/ . I would go with most oaks, pecan etc... The Tree planting guide will also help you with size in the future, this is something you will or should think about.

Hope this helps!!

Randy Reeves Replied September 18, 2015, 11:39 AM EDT