Greenhouse soil #275487 - Ask Extension

Greenhouse soil #275487

What type soil/planting medium should I use for a greenhouse plant bed? I have two oval galvanized troughs, one is 4' x 2' and the other 6' x 1'. I will drill holes in the bottom but need to know with what and how to fill the troughs in order to grow herbs and cool-weather greens this fall and then tomatoes and small vegetables next spring/summer. Mine is a 3-season, glass-sided, polycarbonate roofed unheated greenhouse.

Larimer County Colorado

Hi Pat,

I would suggest you visit one of the local soil supply companies (Hageman's, Crystal Landscapes, Pioneer, etc.) and see what they are selling as "planter's mix". This generally contains some soil, but also organic matter. Touch and feel the different mixes to see what works best. Generally these planting mixes will work well for general crops. The important thing to is to have good drainage. You could also price out bagged potting mix from a hardware store or box store.
Alison O'Connor Replied September 04, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT