Balsam or spruce needle loss #274553 - Ask Extension

Balsam or spruce needle loss #274553

I think the trees affected in my yard are balsam. They are short needled and they are loosing their needles to what appears to be an insect & which eventually kills the tree ( I have lost one). I have several more of these trees that are in different stages of whatever the issue is. The needle loss starts at the bottom of the tree. Thee is nothing visible that gives me any clues as to what the problem is. Can you give me some ideas for researching the problem.

Aitkin County Minnesota

There are a number of diseases and insect problems that can cause the loss of needles, and death of evergreen trees.  Because these diseases and insects are particular to one kind (or the other) of tree, we need to make a positive identification of the species, first.

Can you send some good quality photos of the whole tree(s), and close-ups of the branches and needles that are affected?  We will then be able to help.
Mary Courteau Replied August 31, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT