Bees in Blueberries #271906 - Ask Extension

Bees in Blueberries #271906

What kind of bee is "eating" my fully developed blue berries? I cannot get in to pick them because of these blue-ended, full-sized bees. I have been stung and the effects was a swollen leg for a month. This is the time to get my berries harvested and I am fighting these pests. What are they, and what can I do to get rid of them and get some of my berries?

Coos County Oregon

Are you able to send a photo of this particular bee?  There are so many varieties out there.  Also, bees usually go for the pollen and nectar in the flowers, not the berry itself.  Therefore, it may not be a bee at all.  Is this the first time you've seen these on your berries?  Is there anything nearby that is flowering right now that is also attracting these bees?

Thanks, and after I hear back, hopefully I can help answer your questions more thoroughly.

Maggie Matoba Replied August 24, 2015, 5:29 PM EDT