Standing Water #262995 - Ask Extension


Standing Water #262995

Asked July 18, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT

How can I get rid of the pools of water that stand in my backyard long after a hard rain?

New Castle County Delaware

Expert Response

You can regrade the property to prevent pooling of water. You can plant a rain garden between the water source and the pools of water.  That way you are catching the water and allowing it to infiltrate the soil before it gets to the poorly drained low spots.  If neither of those are possible, you can plant water-loving plants in the low areas and they will take up some of the water.  Be careful because very few shrubs (really only buttonbush) tolerate standing water.  This publication includes instructions for planting a rain garden.
Susan Barton Replied July 21, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT

Loading ...