Poison Ivy Problem #256549 - Ask Extension

Poison Ivy Problem #256549

Hi, my family just moved into a new house. While mowing the lawn the other day, I happened to notice some leaves high up in our pine tree. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be a rather well-established vine of poison ivy. It has to have climbed at least ten feet higher than I can reach without a ladder, possibly even farther (it's more camouflaged towards the top), and the base of the vine looks to be about an inch thick. What is the safest way of getting rid of it? 

Jackson County Missouri

Cut the poison ivy vine at about 12 inches above the ground. Get some full strength glyphosate concentrate (43%) a.k.a. Round up, and paint the fresh cut with it. It is described right on the label. Recut the trunk if sprouts come out, and retreat (that is why you're leaving 12 inches, instead of cutting close to the soil). Treat a 3rd and 4th time if needed. Just let nature take its course with the crap above ground. Avoid handling it unless you do so with proper protection.
James Quinn Replied June 24, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT