using the water absorbing material out of diapers in soil #254869 - Ask Extension

using the water absorbing material out of diapers in soil #254869

My sister sent me the a video link, which talks about using the (clean) water absorbing material from adult diapers in soil. I have some concerns that the chemicals in the material is not as safe or bio-degradable as they state. http://biggeekdad.com/2015/06/adult-diapers-for-gardeners/ I'm a Harford County Master Gardener, and would like to have some "words of wisdom" if asked about this practice in one of our classes. Thanks for your help, Anne Spelman

Harford County Maryland

We cannot recommend using that diaper material.  We have no research one it, don't know what's in it, and have noticed that some of those absorbent "crystals" once on the market seem to have fallen out of favor.  

Ironically, organic matter is  absorbent and acts like a sponge.  Plus, it adds nutrients.  So, we'd recommend sticking with  the water-absorbers that Mother Nature has always provided.