Best Zoysia for partial shade in Memphis #254820 - Ask Extension

Best Zoysia for partial shade in Memphis #254820

Have yard with portions that only get 4 -5 hours of direct sunlight per day. Bermuda will not grow well and has died out over the harsh past few winters.  "Royal"  Zoysia has been recommended as a replacement since it looks somewhat similar to Bermuda and is more shade tolerant. Majority of yard gets 6-8 hours of full sunlight per day so grass should also accept that. 

Palisades is also available but person who recommended said that Royal is closer to Bermuda in appearance. 

Royal is available in the area.   What are Royal sunlight requirements. We are looking at slab sodding the yard.  

Shelby County Tennessee

Palisades probably going to be your best Zoysia grass for shade. Palisades needs about 4 to 5 hours of sun to flourish.If you have fescue, it should do fine in a shaded area. However, you need the right amounts of nutrients and the correct soil pH for any grass to do well. The Extension service has soil boxes for getting your soil tested.                                    
Booker T. Leigh Replied June 23, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT
I know Palisades needs the least sun but the Royal looks more like Bermuda and I will be mixing the 2. How does the Royal compare?
The Question Asker Replied June 23, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT

I have sent you photos to compare color of Royal to  Palisades.  Seems to me that the Palisades has a broader leaf.   If you are overseeding or plugging one into the other I don't think it would matter that much.  If you truly have shade, and you don't want a fescue, then the Palisades sounds like your best bet.

Palisades Zoysia

Palisades is noted for its shade tolerance and low water use requirements and mowing as close as one half inch with good weed competitions ideally as high as two to two and a half inches for home lawns. Close mowing would allow use on golf course fairways especially where low water availability.

Royal Zoysia

Turf quality and density, good shade tolerance, salinity tolerance, resistance to Rhizoctonia blight and zoysiagrass mite. A medium immunity to tropical sod webworm and hunting billbug.

Kirsten Conrad Replied July 23, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT