I want to save my trees #244712 - Ask Extension

I want to save my trees #244712

My husband sprayed our lawn with liquid treflan through water hose, followed by 13-13-13 fertilizer, and then over the counter weed begone through water hose. A few days later the lawn completely died, and what is devestating us is that the pecan trees and Chinese pistachio trees began to shown browning of leaves. At this time they look fried. The shrubs outlining the lawn look stressed but not dead, so we know a breeze didn't blow the spray to the trees. This is the first year we used weedbegone product. What can we do to save the trees?

Howard County Texas

Thank you for the question.  Once a plant has taken up an herbicide there is little that you have control over.  The most effective method of combating the herbicide is to irrigate the affected area heavily.  This may help move the chemical out of the root zone and it may also dilute the concentration of the herbicide.  

Deactivated charcoal can be used to neutralize many herbicides however it is not likely to have much effect on the chemical that has already been taken up by the tree. Deactivated charcoal can be purchased in 2.5 gallon liquid form at many chemical suppliers.

The good news is that many times, trees will have enough reserve sugars to draw upon for leafing out again.  I hope that will be the case for your tree.  Please give me a call if you need further assistance. 432.889.9537.

Jeff Floyd Replied May 21, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT