Last fall, I transplante... #237898 - Ask Extension

Last fall, I transplante... #237898

Last fall, I transplanted some hostas into my partial shade backyard. Now as they are starting to come up, they seem to have sunk in the centers, maybe 2-4 inches deeper than the soil around them. Will I have problems if I leave the soil as it is and they grow with a sunken spot (holes average 4-7 inches in diameter). Would you advise that I add soil on top, or try to lift the plant and add soil under it, or clear away some of the ground around them, or just let them go?

Hennepin County Minnesota

It depends, if the site is higher in the landscape they are probably ok.  If lower (more wet) than I would lift them to surrounding soil level.  They should not be hurt by the lifting process but be sure to water them in when you do it.  Do not just add soil as the new growth comes from eyes generated by previous years growth.
Dennis Mielke Replied April 19, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT