Easiest Raspberries for North TX, Grayson County #223152 - Ask Extension

Easiest Raspberries for North TX, Grayson County #223152

I've had a difficult experience in trying to grow raspberries in Grayson County. Which variety does best in my area, and what soil mix is required? I only have a small berry patch with room for about 4 to 6 raspberry plants, I'd like to have some of both spring and fall bearing plants.

Grayson County Texas

The best variety for our area is Dormanred

Soil p.H. - 5.5 to 6.5  so this is slightly acidic.  Black clays will be alkaline 

Needs to be well drained soil so clays would not fit this.  If planting in clays, plant on raised rows that have had a lot of organic matter added to them.

The plants need to grow on a trellis (supported).  

If I can answer any more questions, just contact me by my e-mail cjones@ag.tamu.edu  Attached is a soil test so you can find out the soil's pH and fertility
chuck jones Replied December 30, 2014, 2:30 PM EST