freedom #215588 - Ask Extension

freedom #215588

Both my parents won't let me do absolutely anything I want to do without them being there or sending one of my brothers to watch me. I can't even join a club in school, go early to school, or read in front of my house. I'm not asking to go to a friend's party where "drugs" are in use. I'm not allowed to go to homecoming... Not to go watch our school team play.. Nothing. It's only school and back home then work on hw. The same routine. I'm sick and tired of it. I want to do other activities so they say tell me .."want to go to the library, the park." But they will have a time limit set out for me. I hate my routine! They also say I'm not ready. My life is passing me by and I'm not enjoying my time. Should teenagers be allowed to have freedom?

Cook County Illinois

You sound very frustrated. The Extension "Ask the Expert" feature is usually used for people who are looking for research-based information about a particular topic. This can include child development and family information. We are not really set up to provide counseling on individual situations.

Every family has different rules and ways of getting along. It is normal for teens to be frustrated with their parents at times. I would encourage you to find a local youth counselor, youth worker, or someone at your school who can listen to you and help you problem solve how to manage this situation with your family and communicate with your parents. Your local extension educator/office (in 4-H Youth Development) may be able to help.

I wish you lots of luck as you figure things out!

Rebecca Swartz Replied October 05, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT