I have a Lagerstroemia i... #212666 - Ask Extension

I have a Lagerstroemia i... #212666

I have a Lagerstroemia indica 'Whit VII' SIREN RED crape myrtle that is about 6-7 years old. It is supposed to be resistant to powdery mildew but this year I notice for the first time that it had powdery mildew. I also have a Vitex (chaste tree) that is about 3 years old and it had started having some leaf curling. Upon examination, the leaves have a sooty mold (very similar to this year's sweet basil mold which I also had). My question is will these molds and mildews eventually kill my trees? Should the trees be treated?

Anne Arundel County Maryland

The coating on leaves caused by powdery mildew will decrease the amount of food reserve transferred to the root system but as late in the season as we are,this will not effect next years growth.The sooty mold may be the result of an insect problem, examine the plant closer for any signs of scale insects,there may be still time to treat for them.using horticultural oil The powdery mildew does not need to be treated at this time.

ro