Grass in Soybeans #212517 - Ask Extension

Grass in Soybeans #212517

I find a lot of what looks like Blue Grama grass in the neighboring soy bean field.

Is that common or am I mis-identifying the grass?

Maricopa County Arizona

Without a picture it is difficult to determine if the grass you are speaking of is what you think it is.  You could take a sample to your local extension office for identification.  However I could say with about an 80% certainity that it is likely Johnsongrass or foxtail as they are invaisive weeds that have popped up in soybean and corn fields this year.  

Chris Ammerman Replied September 15, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Here's hoping these photos help. The grass has a bluish quality to it when viewed from a distance. I/m guessing it is blue grama but, alas, I am a rookie when trying to ID grasses.
The Question Asker Replied September 17, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Could be grama grass but it could also be fescue or Timothy. The best way to know would be to submit a sample to your local extension service center and allow them to send it to a weed scientist for identification.
Chris Ammerman Replied September 17, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT