raised beds #206215 - Ask Extension

raised beds #206215

My husband has built a greenhouse to store our potted plants and hanging baskets over the winter.  Once they are placed back outside in the spring, we'd like to maybe grow a few things in the greenhouse before it gets too hot.  He has built 3 boxed areas in the house and needs to know the best kind of mix to put in those boxes. The internet says: 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 vermiculite. Is this correct or could you recommend something better?

Fayette County Texas

There are several types of mixes that you can use in raised beds. What I have found over time that is usually if you stick with one or another you should be ok. The mix you found online sounds like Mel's Mix (can't remember Mel's full name), and this is a common one used in square foot gardening. The 1/3 compost should be a mixture of a blended compost, if my memory serves me correctly 5 different compost is what is recommended.
Scott Willey Replied August 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT