Do bird feeders adjacent ... #203389 - Ask Extension

Do bird feeders adjacent ... #203389

Do bird feeders adjacent to a house (in our case a condominium) attract rodents? If so, what is a safe distance to put a bird feeder from the building? Thank you-Ruth Rinker, The Creek (Creekside) HOA Board Member, Edina, MN

Hennepin County Minnesota

Sorry to say yes they do attract them and the distance required (in the case of squirrels) is a half mile or more.  They are after all just a rat with a bushy tail.
Dennis Mielke Replied July 30, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Are you able to speak to mice and rats? Are they attracted to bird feeders? How far does a bird feeder have to be from a building to negate that attraction's effect on the building? Thank you for your initial quick response. Ruth Rinker, Creekside of Edina's HOA
The Question Asker Replied July 30, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Thank you for your quick response, Dennis.  I'm not sure you received my follow-up question:  Do bird feeders attract mice and rats?  How far does a bird feeder need to be from a building to negate that attraction's effect on the building?  
Thank you once more-
Ruth Rinker, Creekside of Edina's HOA

The Question Asker Replied July 30, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Thank you once more-
Ruth Rinker, Creekside of Edina's HOA

Mice and rats will take up residents wherever they find a food source and will move in if suitable habitat is close by.  They are always out scouting and will find you no matter the distance.
Dennis Mielke Replied July 30, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT