identifying rat droppings & urine. #203293 - Ask Extension

identifying rat droppings & urine. #203293

Is there any place in Marion County that I could have an agent identify feces & urine of a Brown rat. I saw one in my kitchen but it has not responded to traps. Trying  to determine if it got out.

Marion County Oregon

I would need more information to help you. Are you asking for the ID because you had cleaned out the kitchen and then noticed fresh droppings? Perhaps change to a different trap design and/or use a simple, pretty reliable bait: peanut butter. Also make sure to set the trap so that the baited part is situated such that the animal can run along the wall/moulding and run "over" the bait. Sometimes little changes can lead to trap success. An additional step to take is to close up, block, and screen any places that the rodent(s) are getting into your home. Suspiciously "dirty" (from coat oil and dust) edges to holes where pipes come through the floor and even fairly small holes can provide the doorway in for a rat.
If the problem persists, you might want to contract with a trained and licensed Wildlife Control Operator to do a thorough job of trapping out the population (if more than 1) and blocking all entrances: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/license_permits_apps/wildlife_control_operator_contacts.asp
I hope this information is helpful.
Dana

Dana Sanchez Replied August 01, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT