insect ID #203013 - Ask Extension

insect ID #203013

Could you identify this large wasp like creature.  This is the second time I have seen one - the first inside the house, but I do not remember them from before.  Does it sting - it looks like it would pack a punch and we have vulnerable people around the house (elderly).  I hesitated to just kill it without knowing what it was. (The one in the bedroom died).  The seed in the first photo is about 1/2 inch, likely from our Arborvitae. The second photo has a bundle of needles from the white pine - both give a reference for the insects size. 

Anne Arundel County Maryland

This looks like a cicada killer, a beneficial wasp. See the attached link for more information http://extension.umd.edu/ipm/cicada-killer