How to keep a fish pond clean & oxygenated #201984 - Ask Extension

How to keep a fish pond clean & oxygenated #201984

I have a fish pond that is 80' x 80' and slopes down to 16' deep.  Can you give me some ideas on how to keep oxygen in the water for the fish and keep the water cleaner?  I currently have a stream that is recycling the water thru some homemade filters to get the large particles out of the water and thru 1" & 2" river rock to help clean & oxygenate the water.  I also have the water being jetted into the air and falling back into the pond.  What type of plants could I put in the water to help keep it clean and oxygenated?  Any and all ideas are welcomed.  Fred Phillips  432-967-8949  fphillips@bobbycox.com

Ector County Texas

Hi Fred,

It sounds like you need some diffusers to help mix the water column vertically.  I'm not sure who a distributor for those products would be in your area, but you can learn about the process here and there.
Allen Pattillo Replied August 20, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT