Where can I purchase a hawthorn berry bush or tree in Michigan? #194092 - Ask Extension

Where can I purchase a hawthorn berry bush or tree in Michigan? #194092

Where can I purchase a hawthorn berry bush or tree in Michigan? I would like to make medicinal tinctures.

Wayne County Michigan

If you go to a search engine on the Internet like Google.com or Bing.com and enter "hawthorn tree Michigan" several nurseries should come up that sell hawthorn trees. Be sure to ask the nursery where the tree was grown. You want a tree that was grown in a northern climate, at least similar to what you have in Wayne County, Michigan, not a tree that was grown in a southern state, if possible.

Hawthorn is a native thorny tree or shrub. Its scientific name (the genus) is Crataegus, followed by a second name (the species), for example Crataegus laevigata.  

For your information, hawthorns can be very susceptible to rust and fireblight. A few that are more resistant are:
  • English Hawthorn (Crataegus laevigata) ‘Crimson Cloud’ or variety rubra.
  • Washington Hawthorn (Crataegus phaenopyrum) ‘Vaughn’
  • Lavalle Hawthorn (Crataegus X lavellei)
  • Cockspur Hawthorn (Crataegus crusgalli var. inermis) ‘Crusader’ which is thornless  

Here is a site with good articles about proper planting and care of trees, if you need it: www.treesaregood.com  

Here is information on cedar-hawthorn rust, something you will want to be aware of when growing your tree:
  • from Michigan State University Extension’s Ag Facts website Apple-Cedar Rust
  • from the University of Illinois Extension’s Focus on Plant Problems website Cedar-Hawthorn Rust
Please write back if you have more questions. Thank you for using our service.

Laura Sheffer Replied June 25, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT