Can I place perforate plastic sandwich ziploc bags around developing strawberries? #191641 - Ask Extension

Can I place perforate plastic sandwich ziploc bags around developing strawberries? #191641

Hi, I have a huge slug problem with my strawberries. As soon as one turns red, the slugs attack it before I can pick it. I use slug bait but it doesn't work very well. I know that you can place plastic bags around apples, so I did the same thing but with my strawberries. I took little sandwich ziplocks and I poked little holes in them with a paper clip. Then I zipped them around each developing strawberry that had a hint of red on them so that they could ripen inside the bag safe from bugs. Is this ok as long as they have air? They should have air because I poked holes in the bags.

Dallas County Texas

There are a number of home remedies for slugs you can find online.  If the slug bait is not effective you could try sitting it on a plate.  You could also try sitting a board around the plants and pick them out from right under the board.  Or you could try a mesh barrier on the soil.  The individual bags may work, but would be difficult to manage, and the slugs could crawl over them if there is an opening.  The bags may introduce additional problems such as fungus, mold, heat and humidity problems.  The strawberries would benefit from a separate planter container.
Dallas County Master Gardeners Replied June 23, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT