Scheduled Ask Extension System Maintentance This Weekend

Maintenance is scheduled for this Saturday February 27th from 10:00PM EST until Sunday February 28th 4:00AM EST. Ask Extension will not be accessible during this time.

"River Bugs" #189748 - Ask Extension

"River Bugs" #189748

Hello! Can you tell me what the annoying little (1/2") flying insects are that are inundating the area around Grand River? They're all over windows, walls, and even get into the house (and ears and nose!). Any ideas to discourage them? W.A.Palutke, M.D.

Kent County Michigan

Unfortunately, with the description of "annoying little flying insects," I don't have anything to go on.  Ask an Expert staff are not located in your county or close to the Grand River so anything is going to be a guess.

These could be anything from mosquitoes to black flies to some kind of small fish fly.  I have no information to even make a guess from.
Gretchen Voyle Replied June 09, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
What an unbelievably stupid answer!!! Any three-year old in this country knows what a mosquito looks and feels like! What do you take me for?? If you are paid for this level of incompetence, you should be fired! I hope your supervisor has a quality control program in place to discover you!  W.A.Palutke, M.D. I have a high quality photo but I would obviously wasting my time to send it to you.
The Question Asker Replied June 09, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
Thank you for your time.  It's been a pleasure getting to meet you.
Gretchen Voyle Replied June 09, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT