ammonia vs squirrels #187055 - Ask Extension

ammonia vs squirrels #187055

Is ammonia (diluted 50% with water) spray effective to repel squirrels?  I have several board and chicken wire enclosures over my strawberries, and squirrels keep getting inside.

Jefferson County Colorado

Your spray will likely work for a short time.  Soaking a rag in ammonia and placing it in an area where you don't want squirrels will deter them for a longer time..  First and foremost you need to tighten up the wire enclosures so the squirrels can't get in.  Look under the bottom as well as around the sides and top. 

Once the rag soaked in ammonia becomes diluted enough the squirrels will come back.  If the rag is outside it will likely be a few hours to a day or two.  You may try putting up something flashy, such as a old cd disk on a string that can blow in a breeze.  This may deter them. 

Another option is to trap them and relocate them to another location several miles away. 

I am including the URL to a fact sheet on managing squirrels.  After looking over the fact sheet if you still have questions get back in touch.

http://icwdm.org/handbook/rodents/ro_b171.pdf  (Tree Squirrels)

Good Luck,

Marvin

Marvin Reynolds Replied June 02, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT